Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Inspiragram. Why?


About one year ago, I was introduced to Steve Chen, after quickly solving a problem he was interested in. For a brief period I did contract work for Avos in my personal time. I was awe struck to be working with the founders of YouTube, as were the other devs on the team, several of whom I knew had sold their own businesses or had given up good stable jobs for the gig.

I'm told the startup culture is relentless: high risk, high reward. Casualties and cannon fodder are to be expected. Well, I knew the people that were being fired without warning or explanation and I thought it sucked. I also thought what the university had done to the projects I initiated and led sucked. The people I looked up to, the institutions I poured years of my life into, the models of governance I respected, I could no longer believe in.

I was angry and disillusioned. I needed something to believe in. So I started to create it. A council of wisdom harvested from the collective insights of humanity: all cultures, all times. Not governed, censored, controlled or undermined by the politics of a company or an organisation. Inspiragram is not about prestige, fitting in, status, power, or money. It is about reconnecting the individual to the human spirit

Thank you to everyone and everything that pissed me off enough to create Inspiragram.

No comments:

Post a Comment